SENIOR EXECUTIVE: Engineering, Technology, Software/Application Development
Talented and accomplished technology and software engineering executive
with proven ability to lead the design, development, and delivery of
innovative and profitable systems and applications. Special expertise
in IT management, large-scale design and implementation, project
management, and process improvement. Adept at motivating and leading
high-performance teams, maximizing productivity, and developing solutions
to complex issues. Able to bridge the gap between technical and
non-technical groups. Skilled at evaluating emerging technologies to
facilitate corporate goals.
IT Governance · Software Development · Application Engineering
Strategic Planning · Innovation · Project/Program Management · Process Improvement
Technology Planning · Entrepreneurship · Standardization · Productivity Enhancement
System Design & Implementation · Quality Assurance · Cost/Budget Control
Motivation · Solution Development · Network Operations · Service Delivery
2008 to Present
Provide technology and technology management consulting services for
companies and assist in development and launch of new technology ventures.
Plan and lead technology projects and programs. Identify client needs
and ensure all requirements and deliverables met.
- Founder and core member of team that conceived, built, launched, and
directed online sweepstakes company.
- Played key role in building location-based social network. Directed all
software development and engineering operations. Served as Chief
Architect and Business Strategist.
- Led design and deployment of first-generation CMS and application site
for educational company.
- Created demonstration platform for NGO site and advised on technical and
- Designed initial application and demonstration platform for
cellphone-based lottery application.
- Developed web-based data collection and publishing platform for local
hospital council to securely compile and deliver patient safety data.
- Assisted several startup companies with early formation activities.
REVCUBE, San Francisco, CA
Director of Software Engineering
2005 – 2007
Oversaw software engineering and architecture for startup company
specializing in online advertising optimization. Recruited and supervised
staff of 5 software engineers and 1 QA professional. Key member of
professional services group that managed client implementations.
- Architected and deployed beta product in less than 3 months.
- Created and deployed all system and platform components.
- Developed ad server platform capable of delivering 100,000 impressions
- Formulated all software best practices, testing procedures, and release
GOOGLE, Mountain View, CA
Director of Site Reliability
Managed global server resources, including resource allocation,
manufacturing and deployment planning, reallocation, and resource
planning. Administered $200M capital budget. Hired and trained staff
of 6. Led server manufacture, upgrade, and deployment. Resolved technical
- Maximized server utilization by tracking usage and developing
- Created and executed critical upgrade strategy that added 3PB of
log storage in under 6 months with zero downtime and no increase in
- Reduced costs by repossessing and re-assigning under-utilized servers.
ANGENOUS LIMITED/MOTINO, San Francisco, CA
Chief Technology Officer / Co-Founder
2003 – 2005
Co-founded company that produced consumer-oriented anti-spam product
integrated with Outlook. Supervised staff of 4. Directed all technology
operations, including architecture, development, QA, operations, and
support, as well as corporate business planning, licensing, and corporate
strategy. Acquired outsourced technical resources. Secured distributors as
- Successfully delivered product less than 6 months from conception.
- Led company to receive several product awards and marketplace acclaim.
FASTCHANNEL NETWORK, San Francisco, CA / Belmont, MA
Director of Software Development
2002 – 2003
Managed West Coast Engineering organization for largest digital
advertising spot delivery platform in US. Oversaw software development,
network operations, and technical support. Lone member of senior
management retained after acquisition of Swan Systems. Played major
role in post-acquisition transition activities. One of 2 chief architects
for flagship product. Technical liaison to vendors.
- Consistently delivered system components at least 1 month ahead of
- Facilitated deployment of broadcast platform to >100 stations in
first 2 months of beta program.
- Managed integration of Swan Systems in less than 6 months, with no
loss of key personnel.
- Created architecture best practices and coding standards adopted
SWAN SYSTEMS, San Francisco, CA
Director of Engineering
2001 – 2002
Oversaw all software development, engineering, and technical operations
for $45M company. Supervised 20-35 technical personnel. Architected
company’s flagship products and next-generation platforms. Assisted with
venture funding and sale of company.
- Increased system uptime from under 90% to 99.9% and grew system
capacity more than 60%.
- Saved $500,000 by delivering content delivery and data reporting
systems ahead of schedule.
- Reduced capital spending $400,000 by utilizing performance
improvements for deployments.
- Cut costs $200,000 by consolidating hosting operations and
renegotiating hosting contracts.
RARE VENTURES, San Francisco, CA
2000 – 2001
Served as Interim CTO and VP of Technology for firm’s portfolio and
incubated companies. Analyzed prospective investments. Directed San
Francisco venture office. Managed $3M venture strategy consulting
- Built venture strategy consulting practice from zero to $3M,
with >80% gross margins.
- Successfully restructured Rare’s web services organization.
- Directly managed $600M investment portfolio.
- Executed 8 profitable investments for company.
HUNGRYMINDS, San Francisco, CA
Director of Software Development
1999 – 2000
First engineering employee for startup company specializing in content
creation and distribution for educational sector. Recruited and
supervised staff of 15. Architected all systems and products. Managed
relationships with consultants and vendors.
- Co-founded and directed spinoff company.
- Reduced development costs 85% by creating highly cacheable system
- Implemented multiple new technologies to support development
- Established best practices, design methodologies, release practices,
and QA practices.
- Produced several patented products/technologies.
- Consistently delivered all products on time and within budget.
- Implemented flexible architectures to accommodate rapid design changes.
MEDIA CONTROLS, San Francisco, CA
Co-Founder & Vice President of Engineering
Established company specializing in development of next-generation
home theater components. Played key role in acquiring $750,000 in seed
funding. Oversaw pre-launch technical and product development functions.
Led design of system architecture and product firmware and software.
Supervised team of 5 software engineers and contracted team of 10
- Developed initial system architecture in less than 2 months.
- Created component simulator 1 month ahead of schedule.
GOODCOMPANY.COM, San Francisco, CA
Senior Software Engineer / Technical Lead
1997 – 1998
COOPER & CHAN TECHNOLOGY, Cupertino, CA
Senior Software Engineer / Technical Lead
1995 – 1997
INTEL, Santa Clara, CA
Senior Financial Analyst
1994 – 1995
INTEL, Folsom, CA
Senior Design Engineer
1992 – 1994
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
Concentration in IC Fabrication and Design, Minor in Psychology
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
UNIX, Solaris, Freebsd, Linux, Windows, MS Office, CA Unicenter,
TCP/IP, basic networking protocols and systems, C/C++, SQL, ODBC,
XML, XSL, Visual Basic, ASP, LDAP, Perl, Java, J2EE, PCs
Patents: 3 files; complete information available on request
Publications/Presentations: Complete list available on request